Arel Moodie International (AMI)

What is Success? Who is Arel Moodie? Why Should I Care? These questions are answerd in this blog :)

Friday, June 6, 2008

The Best Peice of Advice That You Can Get...



I was on the phone with a friend from college, Adam Gilbert, and we were talking about a current project that I'm developing for my speaking company. While we were talking he said something that I've heard many times before, but I think it sunk in with me a little deeper than usual, and I probably needed to hear it again.

Here's the advice, it comes in many forms and has been at times overused but spend some time to reflect on what I'm about to say.

It's safe to say that if you are reading this you are serious about taking control of your life and reaching certain levels of success. I'm sure you read a lot of self-help books, (you've probably bought a bunch of books that you haven't opened yet and are sitting on your book shelf collecting dust, we all have done this, there's a reason people say "Shelf-help", don't feel too bad as long as you commit right now to opening one up and finishing it!) and you've probably seen movies like "The Secret".

The best piece of advice is this, you really won't ever become successful if you try to be someone you are not. Being authenticate or being yourself is the best piece of advice out there. Now before you say the four most dangerous words in the English language "I already know that" (I'll touch upon why this is the WORST sentence in the English language on a later post) think about this.

Success is a recipe, yes. This is true, to be successful you just have to do what other successful people do and you will get there. (Most of us are following habits of really unsuccessful people unknowingly). However for you to really get to that "level" that I know you want to reach, you have to let your own voice and personality shine through. I know, I've read hundreds of books and sometimes I find myself wanting to be like the people I read about so much that I start losing myself. I so badly want to "make it" that I'm willing to sacrifice, study, learn, grow, but the key, the real key to sealing the deal is to use the information you learn to be more of who you are. Not to change, but to become more of who you are.

So as you are going through this journey (it never really ends) pick up things here and there that you like from others, learn skills and habits that will propel you forward, but make sure you are being yourself. I think the true balance is when you can stretch your comfort zones, feel uncomfortable, but know you are doing it your way. There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING more freeing than spending every second of your life being who you really are and not pretending for others (read my post, "The Rule of 3", if you need more clarification on why.)

So here's your action step. For the next two minutes (we all have two minutes), do not check your email, facebook notes or anything. Just be quiet with yourself and ask yourself: "Am I living my life the way I want to, saying how I feel and feeling free, really living genuinely to my core principles?" Sometimes the answer is not as important as the question itself.

"Be Yourself, Because Everyone Else Is Taken"
Visit Arel at www.arelmoodie.com
What is CSP?

1 comment:

Self Help Junkie v. 1.0 said...

I heavily agree, Arel. It is important, just like in sports, to "mimic the greats," because "success leaves clues," but at the same time we all have our own unique selling points (USPs) that we need to find and develop.

One action step which I might recommend is finding that "thing," that you have been shying away from but always wanted to do...and come up with a plan to attack it now.

For me, in general I have always hated running.

I found out that this was just a signifier of an unhealthy alliance with laziness, because running forces one to constantly take action towards a goal and not stop.

I decided to tackle the crazy goal of running a full 26.2 mile marathon, and I started training at the beginning of this week.

So far, so good.

Moral of the story: Find your goal, and keep it moving!

Be blessed